- July 1 Deadline: Nominations of potential Hall of Fame members must be submitted via the online nomination form or via US Mail no later than 11:59 pm on June 30 each year to be considered for election and induction during the Lucy Garvin Hall of Fame Ceremony the following January.
- Nominations will remain active for five years. If the nominee has not been selected within the 5 year time period, and new nomination must be made.
- Nominations must be made either on the Southern Tennis Foundation website (www.southerntennisfoundation.com), or submitted via US Mail to the USTA Southern, Attention Hall of Fame Selection Committee, 5685 Spalding Drive, Peachtree Corners, Georgia 30092. The information provided must be complete and include information to support the nominee’s election using the following three criteria:
- 1. Accomplishments in tennis as a player, coach, tournament official, teaching pro, administrator, or volunteer.
- 2. Contributions to and impact on tennis in USTA Southern.
- 3. Sportsmanship and character
- Eligibility: Only nominated candidates will be considered. A nominee must have been a resident of the USTA Southern Section at least ten years before his/her election as a Southern Tennis Hall of Fame inductee.
- Election: New Hall of Fame inductees will be elected by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee prior to September 1 each year.
- Induction: Newly elected Hall of Fame members will be inducted during the Southern Tennis Foundation annual Lucy Garvin Hall of Fame Banquet held in Atlanta in January, unless otherwise approved by the Board.
Election Policy & Schedule
- New Hall of Fame inductees will be elected by a Hall of Fame Selection Committee elected by the Board of the Southern Tennis Foundation.
- The USTA Southern staff liaison will send a link to all Hall of Fame Selection Committee members providing information on all active nominees by July 10.
- Late July-The Selection Committee will meet via conference call to select their top 6 nominees. Each committee member must be prepared to list their top potential inductees in order from 1 to 6. If more information is needed on any of the top 6 nominees the Chair will assign research to various committee members.
- Mid-August. The Hall of Fame Selection Committee will meet in person at the USTA Southern Summer Board of Directors Meeting to elect the inductees for the next year. Election requires a positive vote for the nominee from at least 5 committee members. If necessary, committee members may attend meetings and vote by telephone.
- The Selection Committee Chair will notify the newly elected inductees and the Chairman of the Southern Tennis Foundation in person or by phone within one week of the final election.
- The Selection Committee Chair will send a letter to the elected inductees with congratulations and information on the Lucy Garvin Hall of Fame Banquet and induction ceremony, to include dates, times, banquet tickets, hotel accommodations, presenter, jacket size, photograph requirements, etc.
- The Selection Committee Chair will send a letter to the nominators of those potential inductees who were not elected and list the number of years remaining for consideration. If a potential inductee’s time for consideration has expired, the letter will mention that they may be considered in the future, but a new nomination will be required which will cover an additional five years.
- Nomination Information: Information submitted by the nominator shall be considered confidential and shall be used only by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee and only for the use of evaluating nominations.
- Evaluation of Nominees: All aspect of the evaluation, including the scoring of each criteria of the nominees and the Hall of Fame Committee’s deliberations shall be considered confidential.
- USTA Southern will prepare a press release by September 15 to be approved by the inductees, the Chair of the Hall of Fame Selection Committee, and the Chair of the Southern Tennis Foundation. USTA Southern will send the press releases to the appropriate news outlets, including those in the vicinity of the inductees and promote their election via social media.
- The inductee’s picture and bio will be placed on the Southern Tennis Foundation website prior to induction. After induction a video interview will be posted with this information.
- USTA Southern will order the inductee’s Hall of Fame jacket and plaque (upon receipt of an acceptable picture). Jackets are not provided for decease inductees.
- The inductees must provide USTA Southern with an invitation list by November 10 so invitations can be mailed in early December.
- The formal induction will take place during the Lucy Garvin Southern Tennis Hall of Fame Banquet in December. Each inductee has a presenter, then accepts the honor. The presenter and the inductee are allowed 5 minutes each.
- A picture and bio and their Hall of Fame plaque hang in the lobby of the USTA Southern office for one year. At the end of one year the picture and bio are provided to the inductee. The plaque takes its place among the other Hall of Fame inductee plaques, which are displayed in order based on their year of induction.
Approved by the STF Board August 11, 2018