|Executive Director: John Callen Counsel: Cheri Grosvenor Staff Liaison: Jean Marie Simon
Officers are elected to serve two-year terms. TE=term ending.
Trustee: Karen Newman Morgan, Mississippi (TE 2021)
Steve Duffel, Arkansas
Officers are elected to serve 2-year terms; Trustees are elected to serve 3-year terms.
The Foundation is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes. Educating the public and providing information as to the lifelong health benefits of tennis as well as the stimulation of interest in tennis and good sportsmanship in schools, playgrounds and public parks shall be the primary purposed of the Foundation. To that end the Foundation shall undertake to give encouragement to players of all ages and abilities (including adults with disabilities) through providing grants and coaching, funding instruction, and by support special events and educational opportunities. Further, the Foundation will endeavor to give encouragement to such activities by providing recognition in the Southern tennis Hall of Fame to persons who have brought substantial recognition and esteem to themselves, the USTA Southern Section and the sport of tennis. The Foundation in carrying out its purposes shall cooperate with the United State Tennis Association, the USTA Southern Section, and other local and municipal tennis associations where the functions coincide with the purposes of the Foundation.
SOUTHERN TENNIS FOUNDATION 2019 COMMITTEES
Nominating Committee: Submits nominations annually to the Board for the election of Trustees (to serve 3-year terms) and the Secretary/Treasurer (2 serve a 2-year term) every other year.
Chair: Elizabeth Walker, Bonnie Vandegrift, Beth Hopkins, Harlon Matthews and Derek White
Finance/Investment Committee: Recommends an investment policy to the Board and oversees the investments of the Foundation. Chair: Dennis Miller, John Herring and Dennis Covington, Billy Trott Staff: John Callen
Junior Grants Committee: Evaluates requests and recommends assistance to individual players and state foundations. Chair: Donnie Ellis, Lance Hickman, Elizabeth Walker, Brett Schwartz and Pat Harris Staff: Administrative staff and Bill Ozaki
Community Grants Committee: Promotes these grants to the states and CTA’s, evaluates and approves new applications for first year funding and reviews recipients’ accountability reports and approves second year funding. Chair: Helen Smith, Lance Hickman, Harlon Matthews, Pat Harris, and Huey Townsend Staff: Cee Jai Jones
Scholarship Committee: Promotes and administers the college scholarships offered by the Foundation. Chair: John Herring, Rudy Lewis, Jenifer Tucker, Helen Smith and Donnie Ellis
Staff: Cee Jai Jones
Special Events: Plans and oversees events that increase the visibility and assets of the Foundation. Chair: Jenifer Tucker, Karen Newman Morgan, Leslie Jackson, Susan Habeeb, Elizabeth Walker, Rex Maynard Staff: Jean Marie Simon and Andrew Feldman
Major Gifts Committee:
- Develops the potential for major gifts, corporate gifts, legacy gifts and large grants, which includes developing a cause/reason for giving.
- Partners with state foundations to organize joint fundraisers in the states
- Develop a plan for revenue sharing on major gifts and fundraisers with the state foundations
- Coordinates funding and efforts with the USTA Southern NJTL Ad Hoc Committee
Chair: Paul Pittman Rudy Lewis (Alabama), Brad Phelps (Arkansas), Mark Tipton (Georgia), Susan Habeeb (Kentucky), Brett Schwartz, (Louisiana), Dennis Miller (Mississippi), Ted Reese (North Carolina), Rex Maynard (South Carolina), Bill McGugin (Tennessee), John Callen (Staff)
Website/Social Media Committee:
Promotes the Foundation and the Southern Tennis Hall of Fame at www.southerntennispatronsfoundation.com and on social media, including information on:
- Officers, trustees and advisors
- Programs, grants and financial assistance offered
- Grant and scholarship applications and recipients
- Southern Tennis Hall of Fame inductee pictures, information, videos and nominations.
- Promote the Foundation through social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other appropriate media.
Chair: Karen Newman Morgan, Randy Stephens, Rex Maynard and Derek White Staff: Ron Cioffi and Hal Regi
Build It Forward Representative: Works with the USTA Southern Committee to distribute grant dollars to facilities. Derek White Staff: John Callen
Blueprint for Success Representative: Works with the USTA Southern NJTL Committee and the Foundation Fundraising Committee to determine how the Foundation can best support NJTL chapters in the Southern Section. Brett Schwartz Staff: John Callen and Cee Jai Jones
Hall of Fame Selection Committee: Selects and notifies the Hall of Fame Inductees.
- Steve Duffel-Chair (TE 2019)
- Lucy Garvin (TE 2020)
- Jeff Gray (TE 2019) *
- Drew Myers (TE 2019) *
- Susan Habeeb
- Hugh Thompson*
Those with asterisk (*) are eligible for re-election to a second 3-year term on the committee. The committee chair is appointed and serves a 3-year term from the date of appointment and is eligible to serve a second 3-year term.
Trustee Meeting Schedule:
- USTA Southern Annual Meeting in Atlanta in January
- USTA Southern Summer BOD Meeting in August (various states)
- October conference call
- Additional conference calls as needed
- Committees are expected to meet via conference call as needed
- Nominating is in the early fall; Finance/Investment is ongoing; Junior Grants is ongoing; Community Grants is in the winter and spring; Scholarship is in the spring and summer; Special Events is in the fall and at the Southern Annual Meeting; Fundraising is ongoing; Website/Social Media is ongoing; Hall of Fame Selection is in the summer